Our objective is to correct the misinformation surrounding Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB). We are committed to providing ONLY the facts. We remain steadfast in shining a spotlight on only reliable information from reputable sources… thus, providing a forum for information to be accessible, questions to be answered, and the truth to be told.
What Experts Say
A diverse group of experts who follow food quality and safety say these things about BPI and Lean Finely Textured Beef:
- “The boneless lean beef is made from the same high quality USDA-inspected trimmings as other ground beef.”
- John Block, former United States Secretary of Agriculture from 1981-1986 and currently Senior Policy Advisor at Olsson Frank Weeda Terman Matz PC;
- “BPI produces a boneless lean beef product from trim that is usually lost. Its primary uses are for hamburger patties, taco meat, chili and sausages. It has two primary benefits: It’s a very low-cost [ingredient] and it is as close to an absolutely safe product as humanly possible to produce.”
- Chuck Jolley, journalist and president of the Meat Industry Hall of Fame;
- “Negative publicity about the company’s process and the use of the compound ammonium hydroxide, a critical component of the process, is at the heart of Beef Products’ recent challenges. This is distressing, because ammonium hydroxide was designated as “generally recognized as safe” for use in food by the Food and Drug Administration in 1974 and it has been used as a leavening agent in baked foods as well as a way to manage the pH in many types of food products since then. In 2001, the Food Safety and Inspection Service, the regulatory arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture that regulates the U.S. meat and poultry industry, approved the use of ammonium hydroxide as a food safety tool.”
- [The video depicting use of household ammonia with ground beef] “is a terrible misrepresentation” . . . “I’m glad they use it [ammonia] because anything that can help improve the safety of the product is certainly a product that will be on my table.”
- Gary Acuff, Ph.D., Professor & AgriLife Research Faculty Fellow, Director, Center for Food Safety, Texas A&M University;
- “We are encouraged to see a company like BPI taking the bull by the horns and independently test for these killer pathogens before being required by government, but we need the entire industry involved and that will only happen when government mandates it.”
- “I have been to many factories in my career at the National Consumers League. BPI is an outstanding plant when you go in you go through a room where the air is actually cleaned, it’s an amazing plant.”
- “Eldon Roth of Beef Products, Inc., who just won the Beef Industry Vision Award, has been extraordinarily creative in developing ways to protect consumers from pathogens in meat.”
- “[A]ll kinds of ingredients in food products that can be falsely characterized as unappetizing when viewed out of context. . . . BPI made great strides in improving the safety of ground beef through their unique food safety processes.”
- James Marsden, Ph.D., Regent’s Distinguished Professor of Food Safety and Security at Kansas State University;
- [Criticism of BPI] “is so far off base, it’s just incredible.”
- Dave Theno, Ph.D., respected food safety consultant;
- BPI has demonstrated a commitment to food safety. I see it as a big step in the right direction.”
- Bill Marler, the nation’s leading foodborne illness attorney.
Beef Products, Inc. is the world’s leading producer of Lean Finely Textured Beef processed from fresh beef trimmings. BPI® Lean Finely Textured Beef, is approximately 94% lean beef, and made with great attention to food safety and quality.
Letter from Beef Products, Inc. Founder Eldon Roth – BPI’s President and CEO’s letter as it appeared in the March 23 issue of the Wall Street Journal.
BPI Temporarily Suspends Plant Operations – Eldon Roth, President and CEO of BPI temporarily suspends plant operations of three locations.
Consumer Federation of America -Statement following March 26th’s plant suspension announcement.
National Consumers League – Executive Director Sally Greenberg’s statement about the unfortunate misinformation surrounding LFTB.
American Meat Institute – AMI Questions and Answers about Lean Finely Textured Beef.
Iowa Governor Terry Branstad – Governor Branstad’s Letter to Fellow Governors
Iowa Congressman Steve King – Statement on the Safety Record of Beef Products Inc. and Lean Finely Textured Beef